The “New Deal” began things modestly enough by enacting The National Firearms Act of 1934 which regulated machine guns and the 1938 Federal Firearms Act which prohibited gun sales to convicted violent felons.
At the end of his Presidency, President Johnson passed his gun control act to keep firearms out of the hands of “those not legally entitled to possess them because of age, criminal background, or incompetence.” That would be mental incompetence.
So, Federal gun control began in 1968. The control of firearms in the District of Columbia and other large cities began 37 to 40 years ago. Homicides and suicides went up for two and a half decades. Since the mid to late 1990s homicides have declined. But mass killing continue to mount.
According to Mother Jones, there have been 19 mass shootings just since President Obama took office. We will just name these six:
- 2009 – Carthage Nursing Home, Carthage, North Carolina where Robert Stewart killed eight and wounded three.
- 2009 – Fort Hood, TX where a Islamic terrorist attack, by certifiably insane jihadist Major Nidal Hason, killed Thirteen and wounded thirty. Insane? You should consider all planners and perpetrators of jihadist terrorism insane. The Obama Administration naturally blamed workplace violence.
- 2011 – Tucson shooting, Casas Adobes, Arizona where certifiably insane (O.K. mentally ill) Jared Laughner killed six and wounded thirteen—including his target then Congresswoman (D) Gabrielle Giffords. You may remember Democrats, led by President Obama, blamed Republicans—especially Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann.
- 2012 – Century Theater shooting, Aurora, CO where James Holmes Killed twelve and wounded fifty eight.
- December 14, 2012 – Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, Newtown, CT where Adam Lanza killed 28 including 20 children, six school staff, his mother then took his own life. President Obama mobilizing his political team, swung into gun control mode.
- September 17, 2013 – Newport Naval Station, Washington DC where Aaron Alexis killed twelve and wounded eight before being killed by police. President Obama attacked Republicans.
Since every single one of these mass killings involves mental illness, the solution is clear.
This building in Jamestown, ND, my home state, was the “State Hospital” known by officials and citizens alike as the Insane Asylum.
If people had “mental problems,” they were institutionalized in “Jamestown.” This loose system was not abused and never more than one in 400 North Dakotans were hospitalized at Jamestown.
The evidence is in. The verdict: we must end mass shootings in America by institutionalizing the dangerous mentally ill.